In normal times Royston Arts Society offers its members a wide range of painting related activities. These include:
- Painting sessions – where our members meet in Market Hill Rooms, Royston, to paint and socialise. We hold these meetings on the first and third Tuesday afternoons of most months. They are informal meetings where artists can paint what they wish, whilst also getting inspiration from other artists and meeting up with friends. The paintings sessions were closed in March 2020 but we started socially distanced paintings sessions in May 2021. Hopefully they will return fully to normal soon!
- Professional Artist Demonstrations – we usually hold nine art demos during the year. The artist shows off his or her approach to painting; both style and technique. We also hear about the artists’ experiences during their careers and see lots of earlier work. This provides lots of food for thought for our members. Although they who might not try to copy the approach things stick in the mind and can reappear in later work! The demos are informal sessions with questions and conversations encouraged. The demos restarted in June 2021 under socially distanced conditions. You can find the full demo programme here.
- RAS Exhibitions – In normal times we hold three exhibitions each year. Our big Autumn Exhibition is held in Royston Town Hall on the last weekend in September. This is open to RAS members and non-members. We usually exhibit a wide variety of, over 400, paintings. This event has been running for over 40 years and now forms a key part of Royston Arts Festival. In 2020 we held an online version with about 150 paintings on display. We had hoped that we could hold our exhibition in the town hall in 2021 alongside an online exhibition. We have decided that it would be too risky to hold the Town Hall exhibition so we will just have the online exhibition in 2021. This will be our fourth online exhibition.
- In recent years we have been holding our smaller Members Exhibition in Royston Museum and Art Gallery in the Spring; exhibiting about 100 paintings. In 2020 we held our first online Members exhibition. This was well received and we planning to continue with this format in the future.
- We also have a permanent display of members paintings in Royston Library. This was closed in March 2020; we are reopening the library display on 4th October 2021. This is an on-going display that is refreshed at the start of each month. We are able to display up to about 40 members paintings and it provides another opportunity for members to sell their work.
We enjoy welcoming new members to Royston Arts Society. If you would like to join, further details are available on the main RAS website. You can also download the membership application form on this page.