In normal times Royston Arts Society offers its members a wide range of painting related activities. These include:
- Painting sessions – where our members meet in Market Hill Rooms, Royston, to paint and socialise. We hold these meetings on the first and third Tuesday afternoons of most months. They are informal meetings where artists can paint what they wish, whilst also getting inspiration from other artists and meeting up with friends. Due to Covid-19, we have had only one socially distanced painting session since March 2020 but we are hoping to restart them in June 2021.
- Professional Artist Demonstrations – we usually hold nine art demos during the year. The artist shows off his or her approach to painting in both style and technique. We also hear about the artists’ experiences during their careers and see lots of earlier work. This provides lots of food for thought for our members. Although they who might not try to copy the approach things stick in the mind and can reappear in later work! The demos are informal sessions with questions and conversations encouraged. Covid permitting, 2021/22 demo programme will restart in June 2021. You can find the full programme here.
- RAS Exhibitions – In normal times we hold three exhibitions each year. Our big Autumn Exhibition is held in Royston Town Hall on the last weekend in September. This is open to RAS members and non-members. We usually exhibit a wide variety of over 400 paintings. This event has been running for over 40 years and now forms a key part of Royston Arts Festival. In 2020 we held an online version with about 150 paintings on display but we are hoping that we will be able to hold our exhibition as normal in 2021.
- In recent years we have been holding our smaller Members Exhibition in Royston Museum and Art Gallery in the Spring; exhibiting about 100 paintings. In 2020 we held our first online Members exhibition. This was well received and we planning to continue with this format in the future.
- We also have a permanent display of members paintings in Royston Library. This was closed in March 2020 and it is not yet clear when it will reopen. This is an on-going display that is refreshed at the start of each month. We are able to display up to about 40 members paintings and it provides another opportunity for members to sell their work.
We enjoy welcoming new members to Royston Arts Society. If you would like to join, further details are available on the main RAS website. You can also download the membership application form on this page.