Royston Arts Society offers its members a wide range of painting related activities. These include:
- Painting sessions – where our members meet in Market Hill Rooms, Royston, to paint and socialise. We hold these meetings on the first and third Tuesday afternoons of most months. They are informal meetings where artists can paint what they wish, whilst also getting inspiration from other artists and meeting up with friends.
- Professional Artist Demonstrations – we usually hold nine art demos during the year. The artist shows off his or her approach to painting; both style and technique. We also hear about the artists’ experiences during their careers and see lots of earlier work. This provides lots of food for thought for our members. Although they who might not try to copy the approach things stick in the mind and can reappear in later work! The demos are informal sessions with questions and conversations encouraged. You can find the full demo programme here.
- RAS Exhibitions – We normally hold three exhibitions each year. Our big Autumn Exhibition is held in Royston Town Hall on the last weekend in September. This is open to RAS members and non-members. We usually exhibit a wide variety of, over 400, paintings. This event has been running for over 40 years and now forms a key part of Royston Arts Festival. In 2020 we held an online version with about 150 paintings on display. The 2021 Autumn Exhibition was also an online only event and we exhibited 237 paintings by 42 artists; both members and non members.
In 2022 the Autumn Exhibition was back in Royston Town Hall. This was very well received by visitors and we sold a record number of paintings. This was followed by an online exhibition featuring some of the unsold paintings.
- In recent years we had been holding our smaller Members Exhibition in Royston Museum and Art Gallery in the Spring; exhibiting about 100 paintings. From 2022 to 2022 we held online exhibitions featuring art by RAS members. These were both well received and we are planning to continue with this format in the future.
- We also have a permanent exhibition of members paintings in Royston Library. This is an on-going display that is refreshed at the start of each month. We are able to display about 40 members paintings. It provides yet another opportunity for members to sell their work.
We enjoy welcoming new members to Royston Arts Society. If you would like to join, further details are available on the main RAS website. You can also download the membership application form on this page.